Euchre was a game I had heard of in highschool and finally learned how to play in my senior year. Before that we were big Hearts and Spades fans so Euchre wasn’t too far out of the realm. We played the game before school, during lunch, and a lot of weekend nights where we were all just hanging out.
When I went to college it seemed to be the popular game of choice so the game continued. I can’t really remember a weekend where a game of Euchre wasn’t being played at some time. It wasn’t until I was in college that I realized the amount of strategy that went into a good solid hand of Euchre and every time my fraternity brothers and I get together it’s always a part of the night.
The interesting part now is, every time I play a card game I think of a recent application that is rather common for us. You see when playing cards are being made the card stock all has different humidity levels within the stock depending on where the cards are shipping to. When the manufacturer runs a card that has a low relative humidity it tends to generate static.
The sheets of printed cards go through a cutting dye which takes a single sheet and cuts it into individual cards. The cards are then all stacked into one pile and sent through a sorting machine. All the friction from being cut, stacked, and separated generates a large volume of static. The card manufacturer I was helping was having an issue where the cards would stick in the sorting machine and not drop into the individual deck boxes. There was a laundry list of obstacles that were not in favor of a large footprint ionizer. The cards were traveling in a confined area along with a very high rate of speed. (So fast you couldn’t see the space between them unless you followed a single card.) This meant we had minimal entrainment time and very limited space to eliminate the static in, not to mention since the cards were being conveyed the friction was regenerating the static rapidly. The solution was to install an Ion Air Jet at the separating station so the static would be eliminated at the initial point of sorting and then to blanket the individual sorting chutes with ionized air from a Super Ion Air Knife.
This allowed us to blow ionized air through the working chamber of the card sorter which not only eliminated the static on the cards and solved the card jamming issue but it also helped to blow any trim or dust into the bottom of the machine for easy cleanup.
If you have any questions about how a Static Eliminator can help with your application feel free to contact us.