Considering the material options available, there are very few places you CAN’T use a Super Air Knife. Most often, we find those to be due to extreme elevated temperature, like this one:
A caller from a glass manufacturing company wanted to replace a drilled pipe in a cooling application. Thing is, glass makers deal with their product in molten form, which is HOT…the ambient temperature that this drilled pipe is exposed to reaches 800°C, or 1,472°F. Because of the temperature, and corrosive atmospheric elements (SO2 is also present, as if the heat wasn’t bad enough,) they have to replace the drilled pipe every so often, and wanted to explore other solutions.
Now, this was a rare case where a Super Air Knife would not have necessarily offered an improvement over a drilled pipe:
- The air flow from the drilled pipe is primarily straight from their compressed air system. Since the Super Air Knife entrains air from the surrounding environment at a rate of 40:1, the resultant flow would be very close to the 800°C ambient temperature…and not as effective at cooling as the much cooler compressed air supply temperature. It wouldn’t have helped to reduce consumption if it simply didn’t work.
- Another great thing about the Super Air Knife is that it’s dramatically quieter than any other method of compressed air blowing. Of course, if you find yourself in a 800°C sulfur dioxide environment, hearing protection is the least of your concerns.
- EXAIR Super Air Knives (and all of our Intelligent Compressed Air Products) are compliant with OSHA Standard 1910.242(b) which limits the outlet pressure of a compressed air blowing device used for cleaning to 30psi…this protects personnel from high velocity debris and air embolisms. Again, not a concern in an unoccupied (and uninhabitable) space.
Again, that’s a rare case…a very specific exception to a broadly inclusive rule, in light of the options EXAIR offers. Consider:
- Aluminum Super Air Knives are durable, lightweight, and suitable for most any installation in a typical industrial/commercial environment. They’re good to 180°F (82°C) and are fitted with stainless steel fasteners to eliminate corrosion in damp environments. The polyester shim can be replaced with a custom stainless steel shim, increasing the temperature rating to 400°F (204°C) if needed.
- Type 303 Stainless Steel Super Air Knives offer higher tensile strength, and are good to 800°F (427°C.) They are popular in applications with factors like high heat, corrosive environments, frequent spray down cleaning, outdoor installations, etc.
- Type 316 Stainless Steel Super Air Knives are often specified in food and pharmaceutical applications, due to their even higher resistance to chemical attack and pitting. They’re also rated to 800°F (427°C) and have the same high tensile strength as the Type 303 Stainless Steel models.
- Some situations call for better corrosion resistance than these high grades of austenitic stainless steels – and that’s where EXAIR’s PVDF Super Air Knife comes in. Fitted with PTFE shims and Hastelloy© C-276 hardware, they are especially well suited for processes involving the harshest of corrosive agents, such as electroplating, solar cell manufacturing, and lithium ion battery production, just to mention a few. They would, in fact, be ideal for the SO2 environment at the glass factory, if it weren’t for the temperature…they’re rated to 275°F (135°C.)
Performance is identical, regardless of construction materials, and all EXAIR Super Air Knives come in lengths from 3″ to 108″ (except PVDF…those go up to 54″ lengths) and ship quickly from our well maintained inventory. Aluminum and Stainless Steel models can be coupled together for even longer flow lengths. Plumbing Kits and Universal Air Knife Mounting Systems make for easy and quick installation, and all Super Air Knife Kits come with an Automatic Drain Filter Separator, a Pressure Regulator, and a Shim Set for reliability, clean air flow, and total performance control.
If you need a reliable, cost effective, safe, quiet, and efficient curtain of air, EXAIR’s Super Air Knives are what you’re looking for. If you’d like to discuss a particular application and/or product selection, give me a call.
Visit us on the Web
Follow me on Twitter
Like us on Facebook