At EXAIR we’ve been a pioneer in the compressed air market for the past 34 years. We’ve brought engineered nozzles to the market which reduce compressed air consumption while maintaining performance, laminar flow Air Knives, pneumatic conveyors, atomizing nozzles, air-assisted static eliminators, and a slew of other products. One of these “other” products is our Vortex Tube, which we manufacture in various sizes while also using as a basis for our Cold Guns, Adjustable Spot Coolers, Mini Coolers, and Cabinet Coolers – all of which are built on the same Vortex Tube technology.
The principle behind a Vortex Tube is rooted in the Ranque-Hilsch effect which takes place inside of the tube. As a compressed air source is fed into the Vortex Tube, the air flows through a generator and begins to spin down the length of the tube, “hugging” the ID of the tube. When this spinning air contacts a deliberate obstruction at the end of the tube, it is forced to reverse directions, which requires a change in diameter to the vortex. The original vortex must decrease in diameter, and in order to do so, it must give off energy. This energy is shed in the form of heat, and a portion of the incoming air is directed out of the tube with a drastically reduced temperature via what is called the “cold end”. Another portion of the air escapes through the “hot end” of the tube, resulting in a cold airflow at one end, and a hot airflow at the other end of the tube.
Small, but powerful, Vortex Tubes really are a marvel of engineering. And, like most useful developments in engineering, Vortex Tube technology begs the question “How can we control and use this phenomena?” And, “What are the effects of changing the amount of air which escapes via the cold end and the hot end of the tube?”
These answers are found in the understanding of what is called a cold fraction. A cold fraction is the percentage of incoming air which will exhaust through the cold end of the Vortex Tube. If the cold fraction is 80%, we will see 80% of the incoming airflow exhaust via the cold end of the tube. The remaining airflow (20%) will exhaust via the hot end of the tube.
For example, setting a model 3210 Vortex Tube (which has a compressed air flow of 10 SCFM @ 100 PSIG) to an 80% cold fraction will result in 8 SCFM of air exhausting via the cold end, and 2 SCFM of air exhausting through the hot end of the Vortex Tube. If we change this cold fraction to 60%, 6 SCFM will exhaust through the cold end and 4 SCFM will exhaust through the hot end.
But what does this mean?
Essentially, this means that we can vary the flow, and temperature, of the air from the cold end of the Vortex Tube. The chart above shows temperature drop and rise, relative to the incoming compressed air temperature. As we decrease the cold fraction, we decrease the volume of air which exhausts via the cold end of the Vortex Tube. But, we also further decrease the outlet temperature.
This translates to an ability to provide extremely low temperature air. And the lower the temperature, the lower the flow.
With this in mind, the best use of a Vortex Tube is with a setup that produces a low outlet temperature with good cold air volume. Our calculations, testing, and years of experience have found that a cold fraction of ~80% can easily provide the best of both worlds. Operating at 100 PSIG, we will see a temperature drop of 54°F, with 80% of the incoming air exiting the tube on the cold end (see red circle in chart above). For a compressed air supply with a temperature of 74°F-84°F (common compressed air temperatures), we will produce an output flow with a temperature between 20°F and 30°F – freezing cold air!
With a high volume and low temperature air available at an 80% cold fraction, most applications are well suited for this type of setup. When you order a Vortex Tube from EXAIR we will ship it preset to ~80% cold fraction, allowing you to immediately install it right of the box.
The cold air from an EXAIR Vortex Tube is effective to easily spot cool a variety of components from PCB soldering joints to CNC mills, and even complete electrical control panels. Contact an Application Engineer with application specific questions or to further discuss cold fractions.