I have written blogs about laminar and turbulent flows as related to the Reynold’s number. Now, let’s demonstrate the difference between the two flows and the advantages of laminar flow from EXAIR’s engineered air nozzles; as demonstrated by our VariBlast Safety Air Gun.
A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog proving beyond a shadow of a doubt why you should be using EXAIR Safety Air Guns in your facility. Today’s blog, dear reader, is all about how easy it is to be using EXAIR Safety Air Guns in your facility. Because I’m all about easy. Here we go:
- Easy hookup: there’s not much to it – all you need is an air hose to run from your compressor, or header, to the Safety Air Gun itself. These come in different shapes and sizes, depending on what you’re using, and what you’re using it for:
- Compressed air hose: EXAIR can provide reinforced synthetic rubber supply hose in 3/8″ or 1/2″ ID’s, up to 50ft long. We offer them with 1/2 or 1/4 MNPT fittings. The 3/8″ ID hoses with 1/4 MNPT fittings are perfect for most of our Safety Air Guns.
- Coiled hose: For convenience and portability, we also have a selection of 12ft long Coiled Hoses, with 1/8, 1/4, or 3/8 MNPT swivel connections.
- Easy reach: Sometimes the debris you’re blowing off with a handheld device is just out of reach…or maybe even farther:
- Rigid extensions are available for our Variblast and Soft Grip Safety Air Guns in lengths from 6″ to 72″. Super Blast Safety Air Guns are about 10-15″ long, but can be fitted with 3ft or 6ft extensions as well.
- You can also get around corners, behind, over, or under obstacles by using a Soft Grip Safety Air Gun fitted with a Stay Set Hose. You just bend it to the angle you want to blow at, and it “stays set” (as advertised) until you bend it again.
- Easy safety: No matter what kind of day you’re having, if you make it through without needing first aid, you’ve had a better day than some. While they DON’T take the place of proper eye protection, Chip Shields fitted to an EXAIR Safety Air Gun can prevent sharp pieces from flying back and cutting you. They also keep chips, dirt, coolant, oil, grease, etc., from getting all over your clothes.
If you want to talk about how EXAIR Safety Air Guns – or any of our engineered Intelligent Compressed Air Products – can make life easier for you, give me a call. Trust me…it’s easy.
Compressed air has many different uses ranging from simple cooling and blow off applications all the way to operating machine cylinders and robotics. One of the most common uses is for simple cleaning; whether its cleaning off a work station or blowing off personnel it can’t be denied that air powered cleaning is very useful. But if the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) regulations are not followed it can also be unsafe.
Open-ended blow offs can inadvertently be dead ended (the airflow outlet can be completely blocked), when this happens if the pressure is to high an air embolism can form in an individuals bloodstream. Blowing something off with air can result in airborne particulate traveling at a high velocity that can become embedded into your skin or in your eye.
With all that being said this is where the safety air guns step into the spotlight! It’s pretty easy to make a safety air gun that complies with the dead-end pressure regulation; just give the air another path to take when the outlet is blocked. The most common solution found is a cross drilled nozzle which allows the air to escape when the end is blocked. Generally the problem with this design is that the nozzles can be very loud and inefficient. In most cases these nozzles have paid attention to the dead end problem but ignored the noise level exposure safety issue and completely ignored compressed air efficiency.
With EXAIR’s Super Air Nozzles you get both the added benefit of being safe, quiet and efficient. Our engineered designed air nozzles are commonly installed onto a Soft Grip Safety Air Gun to make an ergonomic, safe, and quiet Safety Air Gun. These can also have a Chip Shield added to help prevent particles from flying back and hitting the user. The Soft Grip Safety Air Gun can also be coupled with a pipe extension from 6” to 72”; you can also add one of our Stay Set Hoses 6” in length to 36”.
Here are a few examples of the Soft Grip Safety Air Guns in our product line:
- Our Model 1210 Soft Grip Safety Air Gun is fitted with our Model 1100 Super Air Nozzle, and is ideal for most typical industrial & commercial blow off tasks. If your needs call for it, though, it also comes with nozzles as small as our Atto Super Air Nozzle or as large as our Model 1106 High Power Super Air Nozzle
- We can provide most Soft Grip Safety Air Guns with Rigid Extensions or Stay Set Hoses, for additional reach and/or aiming of the air flow.
- The Soft Grip Super Air Scraper uses a scraping blade in conjunction with our 2″ Flat Super Air Nozzle to remove stubborn debris like caulk, paint, stickers, gaskets, etc., from flat surfaces.
- Cleaning out the inside diameters of tube, pipe, channel, blind holes, etc., has never been easier than the Soft Grip Back Blow Safety Air Guns. You can get it with the 1004SS or the 1006SS Back Blow Nozzles.
Air guns can be found in nearly any industrial facility that has a compressed air system within it. From the maintenance department to the production floor, operators potentially use these for anything from, cleaning up work areas, to blowing product out of a troubled spot in a process. Handheld blowoffs are often overlooked as a means to increase efficiency yet they are often observed as a means to increase safety.
When evaluating efficiency the length of use for a handheld blowoff is often variable from operator to operator as well as changes even from each use. Often, operators have several different uses throughout their day that require different levels of force needed to complete the job. Most safety air guns don’t offer a variable force. This means operators are full-force for all applications. This means full air consumption whenever that gun is used. EXAIR’s VariBlast Compact Safety Air Gun can help to give operators the adjustability they need.
The VariBlast Compact Safet Air Gun is available from stock with over a dozen options of different Super Air Nozzles as the end defector of the Safety Air Gun. These are any nozzle up to a 1/8″ NPT thread size. To couple with these engineered nozzles, we offer stock length extensions up to 72″ (1829 mm) in length. This makes many applications that are hard to reach easily managed by the operators.
To couple with the extensions and make sure the VariBlast Compact Safety Air Guns all meet or exceed OSHA standards for operator safety, we offer a Chip Shield accessory as well.
If you would like to discuss how to lower the demand placed on your air compressor from blowoffs and want to better experience what true variability as well as what an engineered blowoff is capable of, contact us.