E-Vac Vacuum Generators are a highly efficient, versatile compressed air vacuum pump. Their versatility allows them to be adapted to many applications such as pick and place, clamping or vacuum forming. They’ve also been used in more unique applications like wood veneer pressing and basketball deflation.
EXAIR manufactures (3) types of E-Vacs – Low vacuum generators for porous materials, like cardboard, generating up to 21″ Hg with vacuum flows as high as 18.5 SCFM. Our high vacuum generators, designed for use with non-porous materials like glass or steel sheets, produce vacuum levels up to 27″ Hg and up to 15.8 SCFM of vacuum flow. The adjustable generators provide flexible vacuum performance, up to 25″ Hg and 81 SCFM, which can be easily adapted to meet the application.
When making a selection, there are a few key areas you want to consider:
Is the material porous or non-porous?
- This will allow you to select the proper type of vacuum generator to fit the application and the type of vacuum cup best suited for the process.
What is the weight of the part and how will it be lifted?
- If the part is being lifted where the vacuum cups will be positioned horizontally, like on top of a sheet of glass, you want to use a safety factor of 2 times the actual weight of the part. In processes requiring the cups be positioned vertically on the part, such as picking up a sheet of plywood and hanging it on an overhead conveyor, a safety factor of 4 would be used.
How many Vacuum Cups do I need?
- Consider the quantity and placement to evenly distribute the weight for safely moving the material.
- Depending on the maximum vacuum the generator produce, how much weight can each cup lift?
- Make the cup selection per the following chart
Once you have selected the type and number of cups needed, you can then begin to look at which additional accessories items you might need.
- Filters – supplying clean, dry air is key for maintaining optimal performance. An automatic drain filter can be used to remove any water or contaminants in the supply line. If there is oil present, consider using an Oil Removal Filter.
- Mufflers – help to reduce the noise level without restricting the airflow. We offer 2 different styles – Standard and Straight Through. Standards mufflers are a good choice where the supply air is clean and dry. These mufflers can only be used with the porous and non-porous generators. The Straight Through mufflers reduces sound levels by up to 26 dBA and are the better choice in processes where dirt or particulate may be present.
- Tubing and Fittings – polyurethane tubing is available in 10′ sections up to 50′ for processes requiring the vacuum cups be placed in a location that wouldn’t allow for direct mounting to the NPT vacuum port on the generator or where multiple cups are needed. You want to keep the length of tubing as short as possible though for effective pickup and release time.
- Check Valve – will maintain vacuum on the load if the supply pressure were to drop or be lost during operation.